PSICAN - Paranormal Studies and Inquiry Canada

UFO Sightings, Visitations, and Related Experiences

Written by Albert S Rosales

Long ago it became clear that the Soviet Empire had begun to crumble long before the bizarre and indeed incredible article in the Soviet Daily, Tass on Monday October 10 1989 detailing an account which shocked many in the west due to its bizarre nature, of course that was the report of an alleged landing of a UFO in a park in the Soviet city of Voronezh and even stranger still the fact that unusual looking humanoids exited the craft and apparently interacted with several local children which were apparently the main witnesses of the event. Later research by Russian researchers Genrih Silanov, Fyedor Kiselyov, Yuriy Lozotsev and Alexander Mosolov proved that there had been dozens of other close encounters and incidents in an around Voronezh starting in August through January 1990, the results were published in a book appropriately called “UFOs in Voronezh” published in 1990.

Before these events both leaders, Reagan, and Gorbachev spoke about the possibility of an alien invasion of earth and pointed out that if that happened all the nations of the earth would unite and do away with their petty political and geographical differences. Already in the spring of 1989 Hungary had begun to dismantle its fortified border with Austria, a clear signal that the division of postwar Europe was coming to an end. And before the astounded eyes of the world by the end of the year, on December 22 1989 to be exact the Brandenburg Gate in East Berlin is opened.

After the unprecedented wave of close encounters with humanoids and UFOs during the decade of the 70’s, 1980 signaled a clear slow down of reports or encounters, they had not completely gone away but there seemed to be less interest and hence less reports of UFOs and their occupants. This trend appeared to last until the end of 1988 and the beginning of 1989 when reports of humanoid encounters exploded, but in undoubtedly unexpected locations, mostly the whole territory of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. In my files alone I have over 500 high strangeness and humanoid encounters for 1989, more than half from the former Soviet Union, and for 1990 I have over 600 reports, again more than half from the former Soviet Union. As the wall crumbled interest in UFOs and aliens appeared to increase on a daily basis in this vast territory of hundreds of ethnicities with many accounts of bizarre encounters being published by local government controlled newspapers and other cases published by private researchers in their Samizdat newsletters. The wave of encounters, of all types, began in the former Soviet Union at the end of 1988 and lasted well into late 1997.  I will concentrate today on 1989 a years that heralded many changes and marked ‘the return of the humanoids’.



Figure 1. Typical scenario of close encounter in the former Soviet Union 1989.

The first case I will summarize does not have an exact date, only that it took place in ‘1989’. The witness was a military man and is typical as to the type of high-strangeness report that would become typical in 1989; also many of the witnesses to these events in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe were military personnel. Did this fact contribute to the rapid changes at the time?

Location. Near Aktash, Altay region, West Siberia, Russia

Date: 1989                           Time: night

According to the testimony of retired Major I. A. Samoilenko a soldier of the local frontier guard detachment had disappeared from his night watch. The military immediately organized a search, but it brought no results. But three days later the missing frontier guard was found 5km from the mountainous settlement of Aktash. The soldier was very frightened, physically exhausted and could not explain any details of what had occurred. After a long rehabilitation period and therapy on him conducted by officers of a special military KGB detachment, the frontier guard remembered that during his night watch a bright flash of light had blinded him and after that he had lost consciousness. When he returned to his senses, he found himself in a strange room with walls that emitted an even bluish light with no visible source. Suddenly a voice from nowhere, that resembled that of the voice of a female or child, greeted him and warned him that he would be taken on a long journey. After that it told the soldier that if he were selected for that honorable mission he would be helping a distant civilization very similar to humans in many aspects and located in the Gemini constellation. After that was said, the soldier lost consciousness again. He vaguely remember that next he saw several humanoid figures “without faces” leaning over him and examining his body. He was then exposed to attacks of sudden unbearable pain during this “medical examination”. After that he fell into a state of powerful euphoria and bliss, as if being narcotized. After examination at a local military hospital a commission found him mentally unstable or insane. And one and a half month later the unfortunate died of a fulminating illness similar to exposure to high doses of radiation. (1)


The next case deals with another aspect of the encounters and reports of the time, that of ongoing contacts by the same witness and of very powerful and beneficial after-effects on the witness, in contrast with the first case. It is also an example of the supposed aliens or humanoids identifying their place of origin.


Location. Rybinsk, Yaroslavl region, Russia

Date: 1989                           Time: night

Strange and mysterious events began occurring in the home a local resident named Tamara, unexplained disappearances of metallic objects, sounds and knockings from an unknown origin. At times Tamara and her guests felt the presence of huge tall “men” or entities in the room that were watching all the proceedings. One night Tamara saw a small star-shaped object flying amid her room. Her fear suddenly changed to strange tranquility or expectation of something good about to happen. Several days later, again in the dark, she again saw the “star” floating in midair 50cm above the floor. She watched the star-shaped light stopped by the front door. Once there, a “screen” appeared, resembling that of a TV screen, but much smaller in size. In both sides of the screen she noticed unknown symbols, and geometrical figures black in color, triangles, squares, circles, etc. Soon after, faces began appearing on the screen; in the bottom section she saw a male face with beautiful, perfect features, with a non-human peachy color skin. He wore a silver cap that was tight fitting on his head. He had large beautiful eyes that stared at Tamara in a benevolent manner, full of understanding. Two other faces were clearly seen above. One of them was humanoid bluish in color, with closely set eyes, which looked intently at Tamara. This alien began a telepathic conversation with the witness. The other alien face was more Asiatic in appearance, but with round dark eyes without whites. The face was somewhat unpleasant to her; she felt something it was some kind of biological robot. Later UFO researchers from the Yaroslavl group showed her pictures of alien portraits and she was able to identify some of them. She does not remember how much time she communicated and how much information was given to her. Only the feeling of trust and quiet communication remained. She distinctly remembered saying the following words, “I wish to be cured, if that happens, I could help people the rest of my life”. Soon the screen switched off the same way it was originally activated. In the morning nothing was evident of what had occurred the night before, except for the scorched flowers on the windowsill and the witness felt her hands “burning” in an unexplained manner, she wanted to do something, to help someone. Apparently

her contacts continued and she was told she was communicating with the forces of light, or representatives from a civilization in the Orion constellation. (2)


The next case again involves a military witness, this time a member of the elite KGB border guards. Again there is no exact date, only 1989:

Location. Near Bagrationovsk, Kaliningrad region, Russia

Date: 1989                  Time: late night

Near the Polish border a UFO apparently abducted a frontier guard from the Soviet KGB frontier troops. The soldier was on night patrol near the border with Poland when he saw a tall humanoid entity without a neck approaching his location from a nearby forest. The entity appeared completely black, apparently wearing a tight-fitting black outfit. It was very tall no less than 3 meters in height. The stunned soldier challenged the strange figure threatening to shoot, but the entity did not appear to react. The soldier then fired some warning shots into the air, but this also did not make any impression on the strange figure. Finally the soldier fired at the figure hoping to wound it or kill it. Incredibly the bullets did not appear to have any effect on the figure and it continued to move towards the soldier. The terrified soldier then apparently lost consciousness. Later all he could remember was seeing a large black cylinder-shaped object in the sky and a bright light. KGB experts inspected the scene of the encounter and found eleven spent cartridges from the soldier’s Kalashnikov. Additionally an area of flattened grass and broken tree branches was found. According to the investigators it appeared that the branches have been broken off as if something had suddenly risen from the ground upwards at very high speed. Large footprints were also located. Other locals have reported fireballs over the forest and strange glows deep within the forest. (3)


The following (alleged) report also involves military witnesses and this time at a ‘secret’ military installation or missile base:

Location. Kozelsk strategic missile base, Kaluga region, central Russia

Date: January 10 1989                                    Time: night

This remarkable incident occurred at a strategic missile site south of Moscow. This base contained SS-11 rockets (Sego class according to NATO) with nuclear warheads. (This regiment was disbanded in 1991). The witnesses were 2 privates and one sergeant. A lone one sentry stood alone on top of the sentry tower (about 6-8meters high) made out of brick and connected to the white one story building the housed the other soldiers. And nearby was positioned the SS-11 shaft or silo. A sergeant and another sentry were in the guard house. Suddenly these heard a very loud knocking sound on the roof of the sentry box. The sergeant then called the sentry on the tower to turn the projector on the roof of the sentry house. He did and reportedly didn’t see anything unusual. Everything was then silent. The projector of light was then returned to its original position (on top of the silo). But again the two other soldiers heard the loud knocking sounds and suddenly the sentry door was flung open, even though it had been bolted shut. At this point three humanoid entities appeared before the stunned soldiers at the door. All three were about 1.50m in height; one was red in color, and the other two white (they could not tell if the coloring was a result of clothing or skin). The sergeant, who was standing further away from the humanoids attempted to climb up the wall to a window after seeing the creatures. The other soldier stood in the middle of the room staring in shocked disbelief. He looked at the terrified sergeant and then back at the entities and did this one more time but the last time when he looked back at the entities they had disappeared. The door was now closed and somehow bolted shut. After a few minutes the soldiers called the chief of the watch and wrote an official report describing unknown trespassers in a restricted guarded nuclear arms facility. A month later there were rumors that at an air defense installation in Kazakhstan was also visited by three humanoids which managed to take a Kalashnikov rifle from one of the sentries and exchanged it for one without a serial number (?). (4)

The next case is from another city in the former Soviet Union, Rostov-on-Don, which had more than its share of encounters and incidents during the incredible wave of 1989-1990. It has to do with a type of event known to western researchers as a “bedroom visitation” which were very common during the Soviet wave.

Location. Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Date: late February 1989                               Time: evening

Local resident Ludmila Yanshina was watching the evening television when she suddenly heard the anguish cries of her young daughter, sleeping at the moment in the adjacent room. She rushed in and found the girl crying hysterically. The girl told her mother that while she slept she was suddenly awoken as something pushed her. She sat on the bed filled with fright and looked around the darkened room. There was an area of scattered light directly in front of the bed and within the light stood a medium height figure, similar to a man wearing a tight fitting diver’s suit, bulging as if filled with air. It had a round large helmet similar to a balloon which left its face exposed. The suit was dark in color. The face was also dark and according to the girl it was apparently a female but with thin long whiskers hanging under the nose. Terrified the girl asked who she was; the only answer was a strange growling sound. Continuing to growl it suddenly rose up into the air floating in the middle of the bedroom. Terrified the girl hid under the blankets and waited. The growling noise stopped and the girl looked from under the blanket hoping that the strange creature had gone. But the figure, now slightly glowing still stood in the room. Terrified the girl now yelled, “Please leave! I am afraid”! Seconds later the head of the humanoid disappeared leaving behind only the bulging body now floating in mid-air, rocking back and forth. The girl continued to scream as the figure moved back and appeared to decrease in size becoming the size of a fly until it completely vanished. The girl continued screaming terrified after that. (5)


The next case contains another common theme during the events of 1989-1990 in the former Soviet Union that is the cure claim by the witness or witnesses after having a close contact with a humanoid or a UFO. This case was among the first known in the west from that region:

Location. Krasnoperekopsk, Crimea, Ukraine

Date: April 18 1989           Time: night

A terminally ill patient staying at the cardiology ward of a local hospital suddenly felt a strong wind which penetrated the room, even though the doors were closed. A dazzling white light and a man dressed in white then appeared. The man’s eyes radiated a brilliant light. The witness asked where he was from and was told they were from the “tenth dimension.” She was then told that she would soon be able to walk, after that was said the man and the light disappeared. The next day other witnesses saw strange white and red lights moving slowly along the body of the terminally ill patient, who then heard a loud clear voice telling her to “get up and leave.” She was able to do so and is now apparently cured. (6)


It is interesting to note that the entity or humanoid did not claimed to have been an extraterrestrial but that he hailed from the ‘tenth dimension’, wherever that may be.


The next incident was from the former Soviet republic of the Ukraine now an independent country and an area which experienced hundreds of UFO and humanoid encounters during 1989 through 1992:


Location. Near Zhitlovka, Dnepropetrovsk region, Ukraine

Date: April 30 1989                           Time: 2300

During numerous UFO observations by local residents of the “Pobeda” (Victory) collective farm, between the villages of Zhitlovka and Kudashevo several boys noticed three entities dressed in entirely bright red clothes; one was taller than the other two, appeared dwarf-like. When they boys attempted to sneak up to the entities in order to obtain a closer look, they experienced severe headaches, and one boy began bleeding from his nose. The boys became frightened and fled the area. The UFO observed by the other witnesses, was disc-shaped, with blinking, blue, red and green-violet lights. The disk emitted 2 fiery beams of light and zoomed up into the sky at high speed. Other boys watched a smaller disk separate from the larger one, and then flying away with the larger object. (7)


Of course Vladimir Azhaha was at the time one the pioneering Ufologists in the disintegrating Soviet Union. The next report represents yet another old Soviet republic which eventually also declared its independence that is the republic of Georgia which was still another region ripe with close encounters and UFO reports during 1989-1990.


Location. Near Ortachala, south of Tblissi, Georgia

Date: May-June 1989                     Time: evening

Several witnesses, including 9-year old Evgeniy Nikolaevich Gigauri and an older friend observed the flight of a round silvery object near this hamlet. When the object approached their position in appeared to be a silver oval-shaped craft that was semi-transparent in the center. They could see a humanoid entity inside. The entity resembled an elderly man wearing silvery clothing, which emitted a faint light. The man was in a sitting position, typical that of a driver or chauffeur, but visibly he appeared not to be operating any controls---his immovable hands were positioned on his knees or on some panel that was only faintly visible. No other details of the object’s interior could be seen. The object was about 1.5-2 meters high and flew very low over the witness’s heads. The UFO turned slowly and flew towards the mountains south of Tblissi. The youngsters rushed to tell their parents what they had seen. (8)


The next case in our list also involves military personnel and appears to have been an abduction from the heavily visited area of Rostov on Don:

Location. Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Date: May 1989                 Time: unknown

Two soldiers were returning to their unit, which was the radio or communications center of the city located on the outskirts between the Northern cemetery and the former city dump. But only one of the soldiers made it back to his unit. And he could not understand or remember what had occurred to the other soldier. The second soldier returned the next day around the same time. He was in a confused state. At first he could only remember that he had lost sight of the other soldier and was very stunned when he was told he had been gone for 24 hours. Later after resting and relaxing he remembered appearing inside a lighted sphere. There he met strange entities wearing white clothing and carrying strange devices. The entities communicated with him telepathically and he understood them perfectly. The entities apparently gave him something to eat and then sent him back. He came to his senses on his way back to the communications center around the same place where he had lost sight of his partner. In an attempt to prove the reality of the event the soldier drew sketches of what he saw inside the sphere. He was then sent to a rehabilitation center in the Moscow area. Later his superiors decided that he his mental status was “troubling”. Soon after his discharge papers arrived at the communications post and he was never seen or heard from again. (9)


It is interesting to note how military witnesses were treated after these anomalous encounters, some like the above witness ‘were never heard from again’. The next case is from another one of those Eastern European countries that were part of the changes to come and also experienced numerous encounters and sightings. This case appears involve an atypical bedroom visitation.

Location. Gyomaendrod, Hungary

Date: May 1989                                  Time: night

A man was woken up by strange muttering and whispering sounds. He then turned to see standing at the foot of his bed a bizarre figure about 130cm tall, with large ears and wearing green coveralls. The creature was staring at him with large unblinking eyes. Terrified he grabbed a shovel next to his bed and attempted to strike the figure. As he lowered the shovel it suddenly stopped in mid-air as if striking an invisible wall. The figure then vanished in plain sight. (10)



The next case also involves an Eastern European country which was also part of the upcoming changes and of the unrelenting UFO wave in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. It seems to have been a high strangeness incident involving an otherworldly journey:

Location. Katnik, Bulgaria

Date: May 18 1989                                                                           Time: 23:00

The witness, Jiril Jakimov who had previously taken photos of apparent UFOs (in February) was picking herbs in order to make some infusions when he saw a UFO proceeding slowly over a nearby chestnut

tree. The object came towards him and Jiril became frightened as the object started to turn just above him. He was able to hear some bizarre crackling noise emanating from the core of the machine also the object was emitting light. He then attempted to take a photo but the camera suddenly failed. Suddenly a noise struck his ears and he felt a violent pain in his skull. He then saw four small ‘asterisks’ in rotation like a swarm of bees, they were turning above his head, and he felt ill. At this moment he perceived a whitish blue mist in the sky and small stars, and then the light source disappeared. Suddenly he found himself in a mist and when he opened his eyes he was in a sort of desolate landscape with large craters and some bluish-white mountains in the distance.

There was thousands of flying light sources as well as some small humanoid beings of about 1m in height. Others were bluish with green eyes, and others were bounding along like grasshoppers, resembling robotic movements. Next he was transported towards a kind of laboratory having the appearance of crystal from which shone numerous light sources like stars, the small blue creatures attempted to communicate with him. Next the luminous source, which he had seen at the beginning of the encounter reappeared and carried him away. It was as if he was sucked up in the midst of the light and there he heard an incomprehensible language. Suddenly he felt the hardness of the ground on which he was lying and everything had disappeared. He was not capable of estimating the time which had elapsed between the moment when he saw the object and when he found himself lying down on the ground, to this day he is still unable to say. (11)



The next event is beyond high strangeness, perhaps several levels or so, but it seems to have been the norm in most of the reported cases of contact in the former Soviet Union. There is no exact date only that it occurred in the summer of 1989 and again the witness was military personnel in this case a submarine officer:

Location. Far East, Russia

Date: Summer 1989                        Time: daytime

A Soviet Naval Submarine officer, D.A. had gone on a hunting expedition into the taiga and ascended to the top of a hill when they noticed something resembling a rolled up waterproof canvas-tent. Having forgotten their own at home they helped themselves to this seemingly abandoned tent. They prepared to spend the night there near a bonfire. Soon they noticed a strange cloud that hovered over them for a long time. The cloud was very low, just below head level, & perpendicular to the ground. D.A. struck the “cloud” with his fist and felt a strong repellent force. Then, taking a running jump he flew shoulder first into the cloud. After flying through the cloud the witness found himself in an unknown location. While on the hill it had been evening and cold, the place where he was now was covered with bright sunshine and hot, he also felt hot sand under his feet. Instead of bushes he saw trees resembling palms. He could not see a river anywhere but saw what appeared to be a large ocean; he was apparently standing close to seashore. Soon D.A. saw an “amazing car” approach his location, he had never seen such a similar vehicle before. There were 3 persons in the vehicle, a man and two women. They greeted the witness in perfect Russian and invited him for a short drive. He agreed, feeling no fear just curiosity. Soon they arrived at what appeared to be a kind of “laboratory.” When they entered the lab the strangers called him over “Hey military man” (he was wearing a military shirt) and kindly asked him to take some “tests”, which he agreed to do. He was asked many different questions which D.A. patiently answered. He then dared to ask the strangers who they were. He was told that they hailed from the 21st century (what year?) and added that if he wanted he could stay with them. D.A. refused mentioning his wife, family and children. “Well, many people disappear (!)”, said the strangers and soon brought him back into the very same blanket-like cloud that hovered close to the ground at the same location. There D.A. asked another question, “Here we have many troubles, changes, “Perestroika” etc”, what will happen?” The stranger then assured him that everything would be fine. He passed through the cloud without any hindrance and appeared in the same hill. His friend met him in a very excited state, screaming, “Where have you been? Didn’t you hear me calling you?” He was obviously very irate. They then both sat near the fire and talked about what had occurred. Suddenly a wave of fear swept over the men, and both gazed towards the bushes; they believed that the origin of the fear was located within those bushes. D.A.’s friend took out his rifle and yelled to whomever he thought was hiding behind the bushes, threatening to shoot him or it. Nothing was heard in response. He shot into the bushes and the fear suddenly dissipated. (12)


In the above case the ‘strangers’ whoever they could have been apparently knew of the changes that were occurring or about to occur soon. The next case was reported by one of the first western UFO researchers who traveled to the former Soviet Union after the fall of the curtain that was of course the veteran Jacques Vallee. The case is indeed bizarre and has more of a supernatural slant than an ‘extraterrestrial’ context.


Location. Gorky Province, Russia

Date: Summer 1989        Time: evening

In a remote wooded area the daughter of a forester was sitting on a windowsill in her cabin with her back to an open field when suddenly two black-gloved hands grabbed her by the waist and tried to drag her outside. She turned her head and saw that arms were apparently holding her alone, seemingly attached to a vague and diffused area. Her dog began howling and rushed towards the window. She was then released, her father then arrived armed with a gun, but the intruder had by now already gone. (13)


The next case in our list was one of the first cases that appeared in the western media but was mostly ignored it again involved a number of children just like the Voronezh events of September:

Location. Konantsevo, Vologda region, Russia

Date: June 6 1989             Time: afternoon

A group of children playing outside the village observed an approaching luminous sphere in the sky. The sphere landed on a meadow and rolled next to a nearby river. The sphere then seemed to split open and a tall headless figure with long arms and wearing dark clothing emerged. At that moment the sphere vanished and the being began walking towards the village, but he also seemed to fade away. Moments later three more similar spheres landed and similar beings emerged and they also became invisible. (14)


The next case involves strange figures that appeared to have the capability to ‘walk on water’.

Location. Kharovsk, Vologda region Russia

Date: June 6 1989                             Time: night

45-year old V. A. Kurkov and his son were fishing on a local lake on a boat about 300 meters from shore. The weather was bad, with strong wind and large waves. Suddenly they saw what appeared to be two human like silhouettes. At first Kurkov did not pay much attention to them, and thought that there were some strange fishermen who dared to fish in the center of the lake in the middle of a storm. Then he stood up and didn’t see a boat under the strange “fishermen” which appeared to be standing right on the surface of the water at full height. Both men watched stunned as the shiny figures appeared to approach their location, walking on the water. Suddenly the man-like figure that was closer became extremely shiny. The light was so bright that it hurt the witnesses’ eyes, as the figures began flashing brightly the two men turned their boat around and began moving to shore. Then the figures transformed into a bright light that floated along the coast of the lake and disappeared. (15)


The next case comes from the city of Leningrad (soon to be known again as St. Petersburg) and it involves a type of very tall almost gigantic humanoid type entity which was very frequently reported during the 1989-1990 wave, it was also one of those instances in which a technique known a ‘biolocation’ was used by researchers.



Figure 2. Type of humanoid frequently reported during the 1989-1990 wave in the former Soviet Union.


Location. Leningrad (St Petersburg) Russia

Date: June 19 1989                                          Time: 01:00 a.m.

Tamara Mikhailovna Krasikova a worker at the local “LenKarz” plant was sitting on a bench near house number 70 on Farforovskiy Street. To right of the houses is the Leningrad-Moscow railway. The sky was dark and covered with clouds, there wasn’t anybody else around. Suddenly from the railway station a woman about 35-years of age, in a dark green jacket carrying a handbag approached and said, “I shall sit a while, I will rest before going home”. So both women sat talking. The last train soon past by them. Suddenly from above house # 64 a red light began flashing illuminating half of the houses in an eerie red light. Both women then arose from the bench thinking somebody had flung something burning from one of the trains. However as they watched closely they saw a saucer shaped craft quickly descending from the sky. Before touching the ground, the saucer put down two landing props and landed on them. At once, the top of the saucer-shaped craft began expanding, inflating like a rubber ball. Light from the landed saucer illuminated the surroundings like daytime. Suddenly near the saucer a very tall figure or humanoid appeared. Where it had come from the women could not be sure because of the strong light. Near this first humanoid a second similar figure but much shorter appeared and near them two or three similar smaller figures were moving. The women could not see any exact features as a result of the blinding light. The tall alien figure then separated from the other figures and walked towards the direction of the two women. Terrified the women in the green jacket turned and ran from the area. However Tamara Krasikova who also wanted to escape was unable to move because of her weak legs. So she remained where she stood. The tall alien figure quickly approached and then passed by Krasikova totally ignoring her. The humanoid was twice the height of a normal man (3.5m). He had a powerful body, with wide shoulders, a short neck with a large head but of normal proportion to the rest of the body. The humanoid’s face was wide, white and smooth. His chin was round. On his eyes the humanoid wore black rectangular glasses or goggles. The alien’s forehead was not visible since it was covered by a skintight helmet or hood; the ears were also not visible. The humanoid’s hands were normal and it was wearing black gloves. It bent its legs as it walk like a normal human, but the humanoid’s feet were larger than a normal human resembling large flippers. When the alien’s feet touched the ground, red shining balls rolled from under its feet and then disappeared. The witness didn’t remember hearing any sound or noises, everything seemed silent. The humanoid did not stop near the witness and continued to walk between some nearby houses using very long strides. He walked between houses 64 and 66 and looked to the right and then the left before continuing on quickly disappearing from sight. Krasikova tried to see where the giant had gone to but could not see him anywhere. Krasikova then went home and looked out the window and everything was now gone, the saucer, the humanoids, and the light had disappeared. Around the same time a worker at the local plant had seen a figure of huge height wearing black tight-fitting overalls.

Biolocation research conducted in the area by V.P. Kochegarov and L.K. Grokhov revealed the presence of several abnormal areas which had not been connected with the described events. A number of local residents observed a luminescence in the sky and other flying objects with caused strong interference to local television telecasting. (16)


While the next case did not actually involved a humanoid or even a humanoid entity it illustrates the types of events being reported almost on a daily basis throughout the vast territory of the former Soviet Union, there was undoubtedly something weird afoot during the time of incredible changes occurring in the region at the time:

Location. Near Togliatti, Russia

Date: June 26 1989                                                          Time: 21:15

A strange sight was reported by several witnesses in the area as they spotted in the storm clouds an almost perfect square ‘hole’. A bright beam of light appeared around its perimeter it flared up and then went out in flash. After that in the square ‘window’ on the clouds a picture appeared. It was of a landscape of a bay bounded by a low ridge, surrounded by forested hills. A chain of sand dunes next to the waters is also visible. Over this ‘foreign’ world the sky appeared to be lit up much brighter than ours. Within 15 minutes the field of view is slowly rotated in the horizontal plane, hiding the hills and waters of the bay. Suddenly above in the foreign sky appeared a set of black dots, which are not possible to see in detail, soon the clouds began to move covering up this strange opening. (17)


The next case describes a type of entity that was reported on very few occasions in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe during the 1989-1990 wave, we are talking of course about ‘grays’ or gray type entity very popular in western abduction accounts specially in the U.S.A. The fate of the witnesses is also a matter of concern:


Figure 3. Your typical gray 'alien'.

Location. Near Vladivostok, Russia

Date: July 1989                  Time: unknown

12 witnesses observed the appearance of strange entities cavorting on the seashore near the city of Vladivostok. The witness reported that the appearance of the creatures was “repugnant”. The witnesses described the entities as typical “grays” about 1 meter in height, with absolutely hairless heads, and lipless mouths. At first the witnesses thought they had stumbled upon a group of circus freaks dwarfs but upon closer inspection realized that they were indeed totally alien in nature. During the next 7 years investigators for VAUFON attempted to track all 12 of the witnesses with startling grim results. 3 of the witnesses had been killed in car accidents, 5 had been diagnosed with brain tumors in which two had already required surgery. Two others were located in a mental institution, and the two remaining others had apparently disappeared without a trace. (18)


The next case is again from the former Soviet Republic of the Ukraine and is from the Crimean Peninsula which had more than its share of bizarre encounters and sightings:

Location. Simferopol, Crimea, Ukraine

Date: July 1989                  Time: 04:00 a.m.

The 50-year old female witness living in the western part of town in a multi-storied house suddenly felt strong chest pains and walked to the balcony for a breath of fresh air. Suddenly she noticed a globe-shaped object descending from the sky to a nearby yard. The object was about 3-5 meters in diameter. Three humanoid figures stepped out of the object and walked off to different sides of the object. The aliens were tall, about 2 meters in height, dressed in tight-fitting silver suits. More details could not be seen since it was dark and the witness was dozens of meters away. Five minutes later all three aliens returned to the object, entered it and the craft zoomed up and vanished. The witness apparently woke her husband who apparently also witnessed the event. (19)


The following event is one of the first cases reported in the Voronezh region and it involves a theme that was repeated on numerous occasions in dozens of contacts reported in the 1989-1990 wave, that of dire warnings of upcoming ecological disasters on earth, or enormous unavoidable earth changes:

Location. Semidesyatnoye, Khokholskiy area, Voronezh region Russia

Date: July 1989                  Time: afternoon

Farm equipment operator Fedor Ivanovich Molokanov was out in the fields operating a tractor when suddenly and without any apparent reason the engine stalled. He exited the cab and looked under the hood to check what the problem was. Suddenly he heard a voice coming from behind him, “Your machine is Ok, I made it stop working, and I wanted to have a talk with you.” Turning around he was confronted by a figure wearing silvery overalls, bronze-colored boots and a helmet on his head. The humanoid was about 3 meters in height, and looked strangely one-dimensional. The stranger spoke again, “Your planet---was the most excellent planet known to us in this part of the universe.” And then he added cryptically, “However you have brought it to a disastrous state. Life on Earth will die. In 20 years an ecological disaster awaits the earth (2009?).” He told the astonished witness that if he agreed to go with them, he would be saved. The witness demurred, explaining to the stranger that he was an old sick man of 60 years. The stranger then pointed out that in his planet the average lifespan was 130 years. Terrified the witness waved his hands angrily and told the stranger to leave. Moments later the humanoid pointed a tube-like device toward the witness and then walked into a nearby landed semi-transparent bluish object, a hatch opened on the object and a hissing sound was heard, the humanoid entered the craft and sat on a chair then craft then soundlessly melted into the sky. After the encounter, Molokanov refused to leave the house for several days and was taken to the local hospital suffering from hypertension. He only told his closest associates what had occurred. (20)



The next case is also from a former Soviet Republic, this time the Baltic country of Estonia:

Location. Kohtu, Harju County Estonia

Date: July 1989  Time: evening

A woman and her adult daughter were watching TV when they heard a loud knock at the window. Looking at the window they saw the upper body of a man. They thought that the intruder must have been standing on a ladder. Both women approached the window and obtained a closer look at the man. He wore a dark gray diver’s suit, which had a broad white band that ran over his shoulders and arm. The tall figure was quickly retreating from the window moving diagonally away. They could not discern any facial features. At one point the strange figure turned around with its back to the witnesses and seemed to quickly glide away from the area. (21)


The next case is also from Rostov-on-Don and appears to have involved the type of humanoid known in familiar UFO parlance as a “Nordic” type entity:



Figure 4. Sample of Nordic type 'alien' entity.


Location. Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Date: July 1989                  Time: 2100

A local woman named Natalya Vladimirovna living in the Chkalova area of the city, noticed a bright green light in the sky, it was funnel shaped broader at the top and narrower at the bottom, it shed light towards the ground. Over the light she noticed a round oval-shaped or disk-shaped object, encircled by a rim, with a blue greenish circumference and several (9-10) blue lights on its surface. Natalya’s 5-year old son later told her that he saw a huge disk with a cabin that landed on a nearby copse. The disk landed on 3 props, it had sloping edges and a flattened cupola on top. Several humanoids dressed in black coveralls exited the craft and were doing something near it. The boy described the humanoids as being human like, tall and with blond hair (Nordic type). Both witnesses possibly experienced abduction and missing time. (22)


The next report is one of the best known contact cases from the Ukraine and the former Soviet Union during the period of 1989-1990.


Location. Kiev, Ukraine

Date: July 4 1989               Time: afternoon

Two women, one named Vera Ignatenko, and a young girl were walking along a canal near some woods when they saw three men approaching on a strange silvery “boat” in the canal. The beings were man-like, wore shiny collarless suits, both had identical pale faces, long golden hair, and large radiant eyes. The beings approached the trio and spoke in pure ancient Slavic language (a defunct language spoken in old Russia) apparently wanting the witnesses to come with them to their “planet.” The beings claimed that they took one person from earth each day. The beings then walked with the women to a nearby hovering silvery barrel-shaped craft with an antenna on top. The women attempted to run away but could not, feeling a tingling sensation and were unable to scream either. The beings apparently decided against taking the three women and released them, they then entered the object via a stepladder. Before leaving, the beings demonstrated a holographic model of the solar system with a tenth planet to the witnesses and warned that electromagnetic emissions from and radio signals being transmitted into space attracted many negative alien cultures who are arriving on earth uninvited with the aim to exploit the planet for their own interests. The craft then left quickly and silently. Ignatenko was to have further contacts. (23)


The next case details another contact case this time from the former Soviet republic of Georgia; it involves some bizarre elements as similar cases were now coming from all corners of the ‘Empire’:


Figure 5. Description of entity in the Georgia contact case.

Location. Mtacminda Park, Tbilissi, Georgia (USSR)

Date: July 4 1989               Time: 2100

The main witness was driving a girlfriend home when he experienced car trouble. He left to get water for the radiator and upon returning the girl was gone. Near the park he saw a woman that was apparently trying to stop the car, he kept driving looked back and the woman was gone. He kept driving when the engine of the car suddenly stopped again. He exited the car and felt a strange oppressive atmosphere in the air. He then began to walk on the dark road. Suddenly 200 meters ahead he noticed a landed silvery disc-shaped object standing on three metallic legs. The craft was surrounded by multi-colored lights and at the bottom there were stairs and illuminated windows. Standing 15 meters away from the craft were four three-meter tall man-like figures. The witness felt attracted to the figures, and was not scared, he kept walking towards them. One of the figures approached the witness and attempted to establish contact, speaking in Russian the humanoid asked several questions. The humanoids wore a silvery uniform that completely covered them except for their faces, a dark belt, and dark boots. They had dark oval eyes and very small noses. The witness indicated that he was late getting home, one of the humanoids then entered the object and retrieved a strange hand held device with different colored lights and hieroglyphic like inscriptions. The witness was made to understand that it was some type of phone[asr1] and apparently he was able to dial his home number. The humanoid then took the instrument away and walked back into the object. Coming out he told the witness that they wanted him to go with them. Inside the object the witness saw a TV like apparatus, where he apparently was able to see his internal organs working. After a while one of the humanoids told the witness that he was free to go home. He exited the object and sitting in his car saw the object retrieve the stairs and lift into the air. Emitting a low humming sound the object shot quickly away. The car then started and the witness drove home. The witness noticed that all four humanoids had a red colored bulb in their chest area that was apparently used as a transmitting and translating device. (24)


As the year 1989 progressed appeared it appeared that things were getting out of control in more ways than one in the former Soviet Union as the following report illustrates:


Location. Solnechny Perm region, Russia

Date: middle of July 1989              Time: unknown

At a summer camp several children encountered humanoids with large eyes in a wooded area. One of the boys threw stones at one of the creatures, but was shot at by some type of beam or laser that set the surrounding fields on fire. None of the boys were apparently injured. Around the same time motorists in the same area reported seeing what appeared to be the figure of a girl walking on a road as they approached it they were horrified to see that it was a creature with a bear-like snout instead of a face. Children at nearby Kukushtane reported seeing a landed saucer-shaped type craft and several “Minotaurs” walking around it. (25)


The next case is from another of the former Soviet Republics turned independent country in this case, Belarus, which was not immune to the changes and other anomalous events in the region:


Location. “Belevic” State Farm, Mogilev, Belarus (USSR)

Date: July 25 1989                                                            Time: afternoon

The witness, Vasily Zaitsev had driven his tractor to the edge of a birch forest near the farm in order to pick some mushrooms. After finishing he came out and was surprised to see at about 200 meters away a bronze colored object shaped like a child’s top, flattened on top and bottom hovering at about 4 meters from the ground. Thinking he might be hallucinating he rubbed his eyes but the object was still there.  Near the object stood two beings both about 2 ½ meters tall also wearing shiny bronze colored uniforms. While Vasily watched, his hair stood on end and afraid he hid behind a nearby haystack and watched the scene from there.

The two beings stood around for a while and then returned to their hovering craft. Soon there was a sound like a muffled exhaust and the mysterious object moved sideways, gained speed and disappeared from sight. Later Zaitsev and a co-worker searched for traces of the object and found none. (26)

As the month of August came along things were evidently becoming stranger and the reports appeared to become more outlandish and unbelievable. This is from a region that before 1986 there were few known reports (in the west) and even fewer reports of humanoid encounters, of course with a few exceptions thanks to the work of pioneering researcher Felix Ziegel. The following reports illustrate the absurdity and incredible bizarre nature of the alleged contacts:


Figure 6. Perhaps what the Russian female entity looked like.


Location. Sharya, near Yaroslavl, Russia

Date: August 1989                           Time: 10:00 a.m.

Two witnesses, including E. V., were collecting mushrooms in a field when they suddenly came upon an injured hare. One of the witnesses picked up the hare to see what was wrong when she heard English speech from behind her. Looking up she saw a woman wearing a gray suit and brown boots. She had European features with long flowing brown hair and gray skin. While attempting to communicate with the stranger E. V. was unable to understand her and heard various incomprehensible dialects. Then the woman appeared to press something invisible on her breast, and immediately the witness heard different speech in several languages, Georgian, Baltic and finally in Russian. The woman said, “Do you love animals?” The witness said yes and began petting the hare then fed it some pastry. She offered the stranger a pastry, which she gladly accepted and ate, she then asked the witness what it was, since she had founded very tasteful. The woman then turned her attention on the mushrooms and asked for some for her to take. At this point the witness noticed a man standing nearby, similarly dressed. The woman made a gesture to the man not to approach. One of the witnesses then invited the strange woman to come with them, but she declined. Soon a luminous screen with images appeared on the woman’s breast and she ordered the witnesses to turn around and walk away, not to look back. Obediently they did and as they walked away they perceived a strong vibration. When they turned around both strangers had disappeared. A local inspector had reported seeing a strange “cloud” exhibiting bizarre behavior over the forest. The next day, footprints clearly showing the strangers footwear were discovered in the field. (27)


Location. Vologda region, Russia

Date: August 1989                           Time: daytime

Vyacheslav Gorbunov who collected pitch in the swampy areas of the region for the manufacture of turpentine and other chemicals lived in an isolated cabin when one day, in broad daylight he encountered a strange humanoid creature that approached him, the witness was not frightened and reported that the appearance of the humanoid reminded him of a “dolphin”. He had blue skin and was slightly taller than an average human. The humanoid communicated with Gorbunov through telepathy and was invited to a nearby clearing where a round silvery object stood on the ground. Once inside Gorbunov met another peasant woman who had been apparently also invited onboard. Soon the humanoid approached both Gorbunov and the unknown woman and invited both to accompany them to their planet to “live” there. The woman immediately agreed, but Gorbunov refused and told the humanoid that he had family in Odessa and could not leave them behind. In a few minutes Gorbunov and the humanoid exited the silvery object and the witness found himself in a totally different location apparently in another planet, where he saw numerous peaceful scenes, of children playing, meadows and water fountains. Soon Gorbunov asked to be returned home and the aliens deposited him back near his cabin in the forest. After returning home Gorbunov was no longer a recluse and decided that his mission in life was to help people, in less than 2 years he began to draw beautiful surreal scenes apparently of otherworldly landscapes from alien planets. His paintings were exhibited in numerous locations throughout the Russian Federation. (28)


We are left to ask, What became of the ‘peasant’ woman who decided to remain behind? This next report also involves a military witness:

Location. Olga settlement, Balyuzak Peninsula, Russia

Date: August 1989                           Time: 2200

The witness, soldier P. Ivus was outside washing his military vehicle when she noticed at about 300-400 meters away a bright light in the forest area. Soon out of the forest, a figure stepped out. It seemed to move rapidly rocking from side to side; its height was about 2.30 meters, with long dangling arms, and a head directly on its shoulders with no visible neck. It was wearing a tight-fitting white one-piece suit. The witness watched in shock unable to move as the figure pass behind a knoll. Then from another direction three more similar figures appeared, these moved about rather quickly, seemingly scrutinizing the fields. At this point a friend of the witness drove up in a car and honked several times, this apparently frightened the creatures, which soon disappeared into the forest. The next morning the witness found large tracks or footprints in the soft soil measuring about 45 cm in length. (29)


This next case investigated by veteran Russian Ufologist Mikhail Gershtein among others has sinister implications to say the least:

Location. Malye Shory, Lebyazhskiy area, Kirov region, Russia

Date: August 1989                           Time: night

A local resident of this village on the banks of the River Vyatka woke up one sultry night to drink some water. The window of the kitchen was opened and after satisfying her thirst she saw someone walking beyond the window near the wall of the kitchen. The night was light and there had been a slight rain and under the moonlight she could see a tall thin “man” wearing a shiny tight-fitting rubber suit dark in color. The suit covered all the man’s body and his head except for his face and hands. His face appeared quite common, generally human, with white skin. Something resembling a hood covered his head. The witness noticed the disproportional length of the humanoid’s hands. The man stood on the flowerbed prodding the earth with something resembling a syringe, about a 1 meter in length and about 15-20cm in diameter. The woman immediately thought that the stranger was a “typical alien” and dared to step out of her house. The stranger immediately stopped what he was doing and moved away from the flowerbed. The woman then asked, “Why do you to come here? Why do you worry us? The alien answered, “We brought you a contagion. But you die slowly. So now we brought you another contagion, a more effective one” (!!). The humanoid spoke in perfect Russian in a normal human voice. His behavior was quite, but he never let the woman come close to him and began walking away towards the opposite plot of land near the river. The woman followed him and screamed bitterly, “Why is that, why?” She then heard a voice from afar, “It must be done in that matter”. The encounter lasted for about 2-3 minutes. In the morning decided that maybe the incident had been a dream and also failed to find any traces in the flowerbed, and her husband slept throughout the whole episode. However the investigator (Kazakov) found several trees that had been broken and dried up in what appeared to have been a typical UFO “landing site”. (30)



Not to the left-out the following alleged incident involves a UFO crash and retrieval, just one of the several such incidents that surfaced during the period:

Location. Near Kapustin Yar range, Astrakhan or Volgograd region, Russia

Date: August 12 1989                      Time: night

Shot downed by another UFO during a dogfight an extraterrestrial disk was damaged by some type of alien beam weapon. The craft lost control and fell at very high speed on a flat terrain outside the State Central Test Range # 4 at Kapustin Yar. The crash was probably noticed by military personnel or reported to them and a retrieval team was sent to the range. UFO observations over Kapustin Yar State Central Test Range # 4 on the night of July 28-29 1989 had caused a stir (confirmed by authentic KGB documents). This was another case and the military was informed about the downed disk-shaped object partially embedded on the ground, in a tilted position. The disk was about 5 to 8 meters in diameter, convexo, shaped like a lens. Its surface was ideally smooth, seamless, silver metallic, indicating evident non-terrestrial technology, with a broad and slight not jutting gradual dome on top connected in the same line with the rest of the hull and a broad cylindrical base. The bottom section and one side of the object were substantially damaged by the hard impact, with numerous dents and a narrow curved crack on its side. The incident was immediately reported to the Minister of Defense of the USSR Marshall Dmitriy T. Yazov and the chairman of the KGB, etc. Soon a special order was issued by the Military Space Forces of the USSR to the Commander of Kapustin Yar range to dispatch a retrieval team to the crash site. (Mr. Pavel Laptinov of Saint Petersburg saw the written order himself in 1999).The operation was conducted to isolate the rest of the military on the range from any knowledge of the incident, and to enlist only specially selected people called from outside (mostly from Moscow) to the recovery and research procedures. Under the cover of night the crash site was immediately cordoned off and the disk was removed to an isolated hangar on the territory of Kapustin Yar Sate Central Range # 4. The object was then covered by anti-radiation foil & tarpaulin. The research site where the disk had been hidden was almost completely isolated from the rest of the range in order to prevent any leakage of information. The scientific research military team was gathered in top secrecy in a short amount of time after the incident and had been dispatched by airplane to the range to study the disk inside the hangar. The research team made different attempts to penetrate inside the disk, using different equipment. They tried strong drills, diamond tip ones, gas cutting, but nothing helped, the hull appeared very durable. Finally expensive and heavy laser equipment that was brought to the site helped. They concentrated their efforts on the crack in the object’s side and expanded it by laser. The hull consisted of 4 layers. In about 20 days they made the hole large enough enabling the research team to penetrate inside, who were dressed in protective suits and gas masks. Soon the research team finally penetrated inside the craft. The object consisted of 3 levels inside, an engine compartment on the lower level; the main power plant apparently self-destructed automatically. The main control room was on the 2nd level had a screen, a main control panel positioned in a semicircle with multicolored rectangular key-shaped buttons 2 x 5 cm in size, like keys on a piano, positioned in 3 rows and 4 small round chairs. Identity of the dome-shaped cylinder in the center of the cabin’s floor was later identified as a holographic projector. The top level was like a garret, apparently an air lock. Four alien bodies were found on level 2, all dead, mostly next to the chairs. The aliens were about 1.3, 1.4m in height, two were the same and a third was slightly taller, about 1.5-1.6m. They had large hairless heads covered with helmets with 4 webbed fingers, greenish-yellow-brown skin, and thin long arms, like that of a monkey, long narrow legs and necks, huge slanted frog like eyes covered by black eye lenses, just a protrusion with 2 openings on the place of a nose, small and narrow slit-like mouth, tiny ears pressed to the rear part of their heads, and long thin hands. They were dressed in tight-fitting and very durable suits of metallic silver color with a violet tint, with belts and round circles on their chest areas. They had long elbow length gloves. The suits were removed with difficulty, along with the silver-greenish boots and gloves. One of the bodies was substantially damaged by the hard impact. In general, the beings were similar to those found in the disk that crashed in Latvia in the early 1990s. In extreme secrecy the bodies were immediately removed from the disk, placed inside the hangar and put into special support containers to preserve biological materials. These containers were then loaded on a military cargo aircraft and moved to an aerodrome in the Moscow area. From there the bodies were removed to a special KGB biomedical laboratory outside the town of Solnechnogorsk northwest of Moscow (as well as other alien bodies from other UFO crashes, Poland, Latvia, etc) where they were autopsied and hidden in underground bunkers by only 4 officers. During the autopsy yellow-greenish alien blood appeared quickly reacting with oxygen, apparently copper-based. A Soviet engineering team succeeded in a detailed study of the disk from inside, but the technology was hard to understand. Metal alloys were properly analyzed, different parts were taken from the disk and moved outside the range to different military industrial and R&D institutions for analyses (including Vnukovo alien material research underground lab southwest of Moscow). The disk was not moved to the research centers in populated areas by reasons of secrecy. In around 1991 or 1992 the disk had been removed from Kapustin Yar range to Novaya Zemlya Island base in the Arctic region (a former nuclear State Central Range # 6) where is still hidden today in a specially constructed artificial cave. The alien bodies were also taken there. Other UFOs have also been stored at this location, including a small non-piloted probe which crashed and was recovered in Latvia in either 1991 or 1992. (31)


The next case involved an encounter which allegedly occurred deep underground in a mine and describes two unusual looking humanoids:

Location. Donetsk, Ukraine

Date: August 27 1989                      Time: 03:00 a.m.

This fascinating encounter took place deep within a mine 1070 meters below the earth’s surface. An electrical worker in one of the mines was working the night shift when he suddenly saw two strangers standing at the end of the electric train depot. The witness stood behind the electric train control station and soon after the strangers appeared he was seized by an uncontrollabl